Thursday 26 May 2016

Trip Around the World

Trip Around the World
by Ilene Atkins

Trip Around the World detail
by Ilene Atkins













One day my friend handed me a bag of fabric with a TATW pattern and asked me if I could make this quilt! I found myself saying yes. She told me her mother used to make quilts but isn't able to anymore, but still wanted this quilt made.

It was an experience, I tell you. If you know anything about me, it is that I never use patterns, and prefer to do my own thing. But I read through the pattern, did some serious math, and came up with something that would work.

I found that I had to add several fabrics to make the dark to light progression work a little more smoothly. Fabric prints have changed quite a bit, so that was a challenge. My friend's mother had chosen all the other prints herself, and they were quite lovely together.

I quilted it quite simply, since most of her quilts had been hand quilted. It was a treat to make this quilt. I went over to her house to present the finished quilt, and was treated to a very nice quilt show of many of the quilts she has made over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to read about my quilting world. Your comments mean so much to me, so feel free to let me know what you think, about anything!