Friday 15 February 2013

Thread-Painting a Finish

I've been working on a piece I started a while ago, printed onto cotton from my own photograph, 11x17". There was quite a bit of thread painting in it, on the butterfly and flowers.  Then I didn't know what to do with the background. With some new practice in FMQ, I decided to just jump in and get it done! Nothing fancy, just some long leaf-shaped filler moves. I'm just now finishing the hand stitching on the skinny 1/8" binding.

I had originally thought to add some beads to the flower centres, but now I think I like them in the thread painting the way they are, so I might just leave it the way it is. Any ideas?

I'm linking this up to Leah Day's Free Motion Quilting Project, one of my favourite blogs. See the link here, and read about what other quilters are up to.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely little project - wish I could see more. Great quilting in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo Cynthia's sentiments...but it's beautifully done. As you know I'm recently applied a 1/8" binding to one of my pieces, I'm interested in how you got your edging so even. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is hopefully for a juried show, so just a sneak peek for now! That narrow binding is tricky. I used only a single layer, instead of the double fold we normally use for a wider binding. I stitched it on the front with a narrow foot, too, like a zipper foot, so I can see my seam allowance, and hand stitch it to the back. I find the corners are the biggest challenge.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read about my quilting world. Your comments mean so much to me, so feel free to let me know what you think, about anything!