Wednesday 2 June 2010

Amazing Embroidery

I was speaking with 2 guilds from the Ontario Needle Network last Saturday. It was fascinating to see the work they were showing. As a wee lass, part of my education on becoming a sewing/crafty person was a bit of embroidery. So I can say I have done some, along with knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, etc.

I was looking at various styles like Stumpwork, Swedish Weaving, and Ruskan Lace. Most interesting to me was the freestyle, where a picture is created purely out of colourful stitches, of maybe a bird, a flower, or a landscape scene. While I can't see myself creating such a work, I can see using some of these elements in the work I'm doing with my photos.


From the perspective I have now, it's very different to see this work. I have a great appreciation for the time, creativity, and precision it takes to do this exquisite handwork. I have a piece or two my great-aunt made many years ago, which I love. I feel very connected to my ancestors and other women, and inspired to do my own brand of needlework.

And with that, it is back to my sewing machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to read about my quilting world. Your comments mean so much to me, so feel free to let me know what you think, about anything!